Current:Home > FinanceNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 20:03:27
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2824)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Reports: 1 man dead from canyon fall at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois
- As Wildfire Season Approaches, Phytoplankton Take On Fires’ Trickiest Emissions
- Why are full-body swimsuits not allowed at the Olympics? What to know for Paris Games
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Massachusetts governor signs $58 billion state budget featuring free community college plan
- Sliding out of summer: Many US schools are underway as others have weeks of vacation left
- Rafael Nadal's loss vs. Novak Djokovic suggests his time in tennis is running short
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Paris Olympics organizers apologize after critics say 'The Last Supper' was mocked
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Mom sees son committing bestiality, sex acts with horse on camera; son charged: Authorities
- 'Lord of the Rings' exclusive: See how Ents, creatures come alive in 'Rings of Power'
- Phoenix warehouse crews locate body of missing man 3 days after roof collapse
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Simone Biles will compete in all four events in Olympics team final, despite calf tweak
- Does Patrick Mahomes feel underpaid after QB megadeals? 'Not necessarily' – and here's why
- National Chicken Wing Day deals: Get free wings at Wingstop, Buffalo Wild Wings, more
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Gospel group the Nelons being flown by Georgia state official in fatal Wyoming crash
Chinese glass maker says it wasn’t target of raid at US plant featured in Oscar-winning film
Quake rattles Southern California desert communities, no immediate reports of damage
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Coco Gauff’s record at the Paris Olympics is perfect even if her play hasn’t always been
Martin Phillipps, guitarist and lead singer of The Chills, dies at 61
The Dynamax Isata 5 extreme off-road RV is ready to go. Why wait for a boutique RV build?